Friday, April 25, 2008

Lucy's Day at the Office...

Yesterday, I had an unexpected visitor at the office. Rach was on her way through town and ended up needing to get MB checked out by her old pediatrian in Columbia (no biggie- just a little virus) and so Lucy came to work at the SC GOP for the afternoon. After demanding that Rob, the Communications Director sit down and tell her "a story about a princess.... named Cindabrella..." and then instructing him to please draw her a picture..."of a princess...named Cindabrella...," and after dazzling us with her recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance, as well as her beautiful productions of Annie songs--in particular, her immitations of "Mrs. Paddigan" (aka Miss Hanningan), Lucy decided it was time to get to work on some drawing. I found the closest thing to markers in the office and some old pieces of scrap paper and put her to work. (This was after my pathetic attempt at getting her to play with a Jenga game I happened to have laying around as if they were building blocks... she didn't fall for it...)

First she started with drawing on the paper.... a wise decision...
...which, after I got off of the phone with a candidate and looked up to see marker all over her dress, she then decided to turn threats of drawing on her dress even more...



...which then turned into her drawing on her forehead...



I was able to get the marker off of her face before her Mom came back to pick her up. But getting the marker off of her dress was above my level of expertise when it comes to handling a 3 year old while trying to get your office work done at the same time. :) Luckily, I was able to distract her in the reception area for a while with her "shows" on t.v. and a tasty snack. I guess this was perhaps just a small taste of what it may be like as a single working mother? All I know is that I don't want to find out anytime soon :)

No comments: